What is Alateen?
Alateen is part of the Al-Anon fellowship and is for young people, aged 12 – 17 inclusive, who are affected by a problem drinker. Alateen members share their ideas and experience in order to gain a better understanding of alcoholism, they learn to accept it as an illness and so lessen its’ impact on their lives. By removing their preoccupation with the drinker’s behaviour they are able to focus on their own development and sense of identity.
There are currently no Alateen groups operating in Ireland.
The following twenty questions are to help you decide whether Alateen is for you.
- Do you have a parent, close friend or relative whose drinking upsets you?
- Do you cover up your real feelings by pretending you don’t care?
- Does it seem like every holiday is spoiled because of drinking?
- Do you tell lies to cover up for someone else’s drinking or what’s happening in your home?
- Do you stay out of the house as much as possible because you hate it there?
- Are you afraid to upset someone for fear it will set off a drinking bout?
- Do you feel nobody really loves or cares what happens to you?
- Are you afraid or embarrassed to bring your friends home?
- Do you think the drinker’s behaviour is caused by you, other members of your family, friends, or rotten breaks in life?
- Do you make threats such as, “If you don’t stop drinking, fighting, etc., I’ll run away”?
- Do you make promises about behaviour such as, “I’ll get better school marks, go to church or keep my room clean” in exchange for a promise that the drinking and fighting stop?
- Do you feel that if your Mum or Dad loved you, she or he would stop drinking?
- Do you ever threaten or actually hurt yourself to scare your parents into saying, “I’m sorry,” or “I love you”?
- Do you believe no one could possibly understand how you feel?
- Do you have money problems because of someone else’s drinking?
- Are meal times frequently delayed because of the drinker?
- Have you considered calling the police because of drinking behaviour?
- Have you refused dates out of fear or anxiety?
- Do you think that if the drinker stopped drinking, your other problems would be solved?
- Do you ever treat people (teachers, school mates, team mates, etc.) unjustly because you are angry at someone else for drinking too much?